Wednesday 15 June 2011

To cut or not to cut??

I'm sure some of you will have heard about the flak Russel Crowe was getting last week due to his views on circumcision. I have always disagreed with circumcising babies or children. I know it can sometimes be necessary, a close member of my family was forced to have it done as an adult as his foreskin had become to tight. That's perfectly acceptable. But at the risk of offending anyone, I think anyone who would put their child through that for anything other than medical reasons has some wires loose! Although I have never liked the thought of it, I have never really sat and thought about the technicalities of it, so when i watched this video through twitter, i was incredibly shocked, and I would go so far as to say traumatised just by seeing it. I had a panic attack and cried my eyes out! That poor baby! I have three sons, and never would i entertain the thought of putting them through such pain! Never! I will include a link to the video, but I wont embed it, I couldn't cope with seeing it again, and i don't want anyone seeing it without first preparing themselves. So if you want to see it, the option is there, but it's not forced upon you. Circumcision. I Have nothing against specific groups of people or people of faith to whom this practice is commonplace, I just find the act itself disturbing, cruel, and barbaric!
If ever you hear female circumcision mentioned, people are up in arms! It's sick, evil! etc etc, why do we not have the same reactions to male circumcision? All children should be cherished, and anything that would cause them unnecessary pain avoided at all costs!
That's my rant over. Sorry if anyone feels i am forcing my opinion onto them, or that I'm disrespecting any religion or group. That is not my intention. I am just truly shocked by this.
What's your view?

Sal. X

No comments:

Post a Comment